Paranormal Psychic Forums

Psychic paranormal community Forums for like minded individuals who wish to connect, chat and share.

Large asteroid to pass close to Earth on Wednesday

Non paranormal global news stories.

Owlscrying

Unread post Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:15 pm

An asteroid more than a quarter mile (400 meters) wide will pass close to Earth on Wednesday, zooming by at a distance of just over a million miles (1.8 million km), but with no chance of impact, according to NASA scientists.

Smaller asteroids routinely make closer passes to Earth, but 2014 J025, discovered in May 2014, will be the largest asteroid to come this near to the planet since 2004, flying by at only about 4.6 times the distance from the Earth to the Moon, 1.1 million miles (1.8 million km).

"We know the time that the object is going to be closest within seconds, and the distance is known within hundreds of kilometers (miles)," Davide Farnocchia, a mathematician at NASA's Near-Earth Object program, said by telephone on Tuesday.

Having several years of data on the asteroid's trajectory gives scientists the ability to predict its path very confidently, he added.

The asteroid, estimated to be between one-quarter and three-quarters of a mile (600-1,400 meters) wide and twice as reflective as the Moon, won't be visible to the naked eye, but sky watchers should be able to view it with home telescopes for one or two nights starting on Wednesday.

The approach of J025 will be the asteroid's closest for at least the next 500 years.

Source

Owlscrying

Unread post Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:17 pm

The asteroid will approach Earth from the direction of the sun, and is set to fly past on April 19.

With a surface twice as reflective as the moon, the asteroid will still be visible in the night sky for those using only small telescopes.

The rock will only be visible for one or two nights.

summerfoxx

Unread post Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Those asteroids make me nervous, Owls. I know we have had some pass by the Earth. I think some coming close to hitting the earth. I hope one never ever does hit the Earth. We would be in a world of hurt, if one was to slam into the Earth.

homebound
ABT Team

Unread post Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:06 am

If worse came to worse, I would think we have the technology now to either break one up or deflect its course.
Let your weird little light shine so the other weirdos can find you.

Owlscrying

Unread post Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Radar images of asteroid 2014 JO25 were generated and collected on April 18, 2017, by NASA's Goldstone Solar System Radar in California's Mojave Desert.

At the time, asteroid 2014 JO25 was 1.9 million miles (3 million kilometers) from Earth.

The asteroid will safely pass Earth at a distance of 1.1 million miles (1.8 million km) on April 19 at about 8:24 a.m EDT

Owlscrying

Unread post Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Astronomers discovered 2014 J025 three years ago.

There is no danger as the space rock’s orbit is well known.

The asteroid has been located in the direction of the sun, but – during the first hours of Wednesday, April 19 – the space rock will come into view for small telescopes as it crosses the constellation of Draco.

Where To Look

hopeful

Unread post Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:27 pm

i dont think it's going to hit the planet... i sincerely doubt there is anything to worry about! it's cool that we know it's happening thought!
"Yesterday I was naive and wanted to change the world. Today I am wise and want to change myself.' -Rumi

Always learning....

summerfoxx

Unread post Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:04 pm

Scientists say, we don't have anything to worry about. So.. THAT'S good. :)

Return to “In The News”

• Information